This adaptive reuse project transformed an abandoned train station into clinical offices for St. Luke’s Hospital.
Union Station Second-Floor Addition
Union Station South Facade Before
Union Station South Facade
Union Station Glazing
Union Station Physical Therapy
Union Station Skylight with Truss
Union Station East Facade Before
Union Station East Facade
Union Station Mezzanine
Union Station Skylight
Union Station Drinking Fountain
In this adaptive reuse of the Union Station in Bethlehem, a former Lehigh Valley Railroad train station was transformed into clinical offices for St. Luke’s Hospital. The 1924 Classical Revival style building is located in the Fountain Hill National Register Historic District. The project was undertaken as a Federal Historic Tax Credit project, a financial incentive which was critical for the restoration of the abandoned building.
Artefact designed the renovations to the exterior and the main lobby and also managed the tax credit submissions for the project. Due to the severe deterioration of the interior, the only space that could be fully restored was the main entrance lobby. Additions to the building include the enclosure of the angled side roofed platform waiting area and a second level of the west utilitarian end of the former train station.