St. Peter’s Church, designed by Charles McKim of McKim, Mead, and White in 1887 is an important example of early Gothic revival architecture and one of only a few churches designed by the firm. The tower is of particular interest because concrete was used in place of rubble stone for the interior portion of the wall. This composite construction system innovation illustrates the transition between solid stone construction and present day stone veneer construction, but also contributed to water problems seen in the tower.
A preservation plan was completed in February 2011 for the exterior envelope of St. Peter’s Church with a special emphasis on the investigation of the church tower. The preservation plan was largely funded by a grant from the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund (MCHPT) and it identifies approximately 36 items that require preservation actions.
Presently, construction documents for Phase 1 of the restoration are being completed. This phase includes roof replacement, installation of through wall flashing and repointing of masonry of the church tower and turret. Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring.