Cathedral Church of the Nativity
Cathedral Church Entrance Addition
Cathedral Church Entrance Side View
Cathedral Church Connector
Cathedral Church Connector Close-Up
The original portion of the Cathedral Church of the Nativity, located in South Bethlehem, dates from c. 1863 and was designed by E. T. Potter. This portion became the transept in 1884 when E. M. Burns added the current nave and chancel.
Artefact was retained by the church in 1995 to design a connection between the sanctuary and the 1939 Parish Hall and to provide elevator access to all levels of the church and parish hall. Several years later, Artefact was asked to replace a long-lived “temporary” wood and glass entry vestibule with a new stone-fronted narthex.
The connector was designed to be a light wood and glass structure with a stone arched loggia supporting it. The details of the stone columns recall the detailing of the existing church, but as interpreted for construction in the 20th century. The narthex addition to the front of the church utilized the pointed arch of the existing front door. Each element of the resulting connected complex reflects the time period in which it was constructed, but the whole retains a remarkable unity and cohesiveness.