“You have unobstructed views all around it…the views are absolutely gorgeous.” Read more at Lehigh Valley Business.
“With permitting processes becoming more stringent for construction projects, adaptive reuse is becoming more common.” Read more here.
Adaptive Reuse Project Under Construction
The Lutz-Franklin Schoolhouse that stands today was built in 1880 and served the community as a school from 1880 to 1958. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was determined to be a significant historic property because it possesses authentic characteristics of a 19th century one-room schoolhouse. The fine artisanship of the building, most clearly demonstrated in the pattern of the stone work, was exceptional for its time.
An anonymous donor funded the restoration of the schoolhouse and its conversion into the Lutz-Franklin Schoolhouse Museum. Artefact created the restoration plans and coordinated the work. Today the schoolhouse is owned and maintained through a partnership between Lower Saucon Township and the Lower Saucon Historical Society. Students visit the museum to learn about local history. Many community events, such as History Day, Harvest Festival, picnics and community meetings, are held at the schoolhouse.
Artefact is currently designing a museum that will illustrate the life of women from the Lehigh Valley. This museum will be housed in the Single Sisters’ House in historic downtown Bethlehem.
The project follows the guidelines of the Secretary of Interior’s Standards. The preservation design also follows guidelines for greening historic structures.
The program includes exhibition spaces, assembly space (the Saal) and an information kiosk. The major alterations to be performed in the building are the installation of an elevator and ADA restrooms.